Harrison and I have become connoisseurs of jogging strollers. In the past two years, I have owned the BOB Revolution, Mountain Buggy Terrain and the Baby Jogger Summit X3. H and I participate in a stroller fitness class three days a week and use our jogging stroller regularly. Our strollers are stored in the car (a norm for city living) so this also serves as our everyday stroller. For the last month we have been testing out the BBaby Jogger Summit X3 and I have to say that I really LOVE this stroller! Here’s why:
Fold: You cannot talk about a Baby Jogger stroller without touching on it’s most unique feature, that fold! With one hand you pull up on a strap over the seat and it folds in half! It really is that easy. There is a storage strap to keep the stroller locked when folded, but we have not used this for every day. Of all the jogging strollers, it takes the least amount of space in our trunk. It weighs in at 28 lb. (which is standard for a jogging stroller) but still easy to get into the trunk of our SUV.
Brakes: The other unique feature of the Summit X3 is the remote front wheel lock, located on the side of the seat. On most strollers, the lock is adjusted on the actual front wheel. When running, the wheel should stay in locked position, but for maneuverability unlocked is best. The remote lock makes it extremely easy to go between the two positions. There is also a hand brake located on the handle. It was pretty stiff for me to press but its easy to adjust with an allen wrench. There is a wrist strap available for jogging which is attached to the foot brake. The foot brake is not flip flop friendly, but thats not a “must” for a jogging stroller.
Handle Bar: The handle bar is fixed at 40 inches which is the same as the B.O.B. Revolution. It’s a tiny bit high for me, I’m 5’4”. When jogging you constantly have to press down on the handle bar to lift up the front tire to make turns. The higher the handle bar, the more force you have to apply to press it down. My husband at 6’ applies a little too much pressure sometimes and the stroller spins out. The handle bar on the Summit X3 is at a happy medium, but I suggest testing it out in the store!
Canopy: The canopy on Summit X3 is so big it comes with a sunroof and moonroof! i.e. it has two peek-a-boo windows as well as two side ventilation windows. The shade also comes with UV 50 protection. The windows are hook and loop (not magnetic) which is extremely common, but not ideal for a sleeping kiddo. On a hot and sunny day, the Summit X3 will keep your kiddo cool and protected.
Seat: The seat can hold a kiddo to a whopping 75 lb.!!! The total load with child and baggage is 87 lbs! The seat can go to an almost complete recline, which is VERY easy to adjust by a clamp behind the seat. There is a large mesh vent to keep your kiddo cool and also makes jogging easier by creating an air vent (have you ever pushed a stroller on a windy day?). There is a weather cover for the vent that can be rolled up when not in use. You can use the stroller with an infant, however NEVER run with an infant under 6 months or with the car seat attached. Please check with your pediatrician before running with a child under the age of one.
Wheels: The two back wheels are 16” and the front wheel is 12”. They are all pneumatic tires which is an inflatable rubber. These tires are great for mountain trails, the beach and even urban sidewalks. As mentioned above, the front wheel can be in locked or swivel position. If the stroller veers to one side when in locked position, the Summit X3 comes with an alignment feature on the front tire to correct this. And of course, it has independent all-wheel suspension. These features are what really make this a GREAT jogging stroller!
Storage: I’m totally obsessed with the amount of storage available on this stroller! The basket on the bottom is very large and EXTREMELY easy to access. The back of the basket is curved allowing you to fit larger items. The sides are elastic so you access things in the basket that way too, especially when the seat is reclined. Although the stroller does not come with cup holders (totally standard) it does have a mesh back pocket perfect for a cell phone, keys or water bottle!
Accessories: The Summit X3 is compatible with car seats as well as a bassinet (sold separately). This makes it a great travel system stroller. Many of the accessories from the City Mini (if you own one already) are interchangeable with the Summit X3!
Some Pro’s and Con’s of the Summit X3:
– This is by far the easiest jogging stroller to fold and the most compact when folded. It’s a HUGE consideration if you are taking your stroller in and out of the car everyday, like we do.
– The remote front wheel brake is a huge benefit. I have never locked the front wheel of my jogging strollers because it can be a bit of a hassle. The Summit X3 could not make it any easier to use this feature.
– Besides being a great jogging stroller, the Summit X3 has one of the best stroller baskets to boost. I use our Summit X3 for grocery shopping, we carry a lot of gear with us to work out class, and now that the seasons are changing coats/sweater/gloves/etc. It’s not common to have a jogging stroller with ample storage, I greatly appreciate it!
– Harrison is Two years old now (50th percentile across the board) and I have started to notice with most of my strollers that he is getting too tall for the seats. The Summit X3 does hold a lot of weight, but even Harrison is pretty snug for the seat height.
– I think having the perfect handle bar height is extremely important for a serious runner. I have several friends 6′ and above, and the standard 40″ handle bar (on many jogging strollers) is not ideal. I wish the handle bar on the Summit X3 was adjustable, but the height does work fine for me.
In all honesty, the Summit X3 is my go to stroller. It is by far the easiest of all my strollers to fold, and takes up the least amount of space in the trunk of my car. I love that I can run errands with it because it’s easy to maneuver and can hold a lot of our gear in the basket. Most importantly, it is a great jogging stroller! The Summit X3 is safe, smooth and comfortable for Harrison. If you are in the market for a jogging stroller, the Summit X3 should be a top contender.