I have always enjoyed running and in my adult years, it is my exercise of choice. I should say I have never been an avid runner though and certainly didn’t think I ran enough to warrant registering or purchasing a jogging stroller… UNTIL I HAD KIDS. A couple months ago, my friends at Britax/BOB sent me a BOB Revolution Flex Duallie Stroller and I am in love. Real moms, friends, editors have all raved about their BOB strollers and now I am one of those moms raving about them, too. Here’s why I love it and why I think that even if you weren’t a real runner/walker for exercise person before kids, you may be now.
What I love:
– Manuverability. The BOB handles like a dream. With the swiveling front wheel you can make a crazy tight turns, get in/out of tight spaces all while using only one hand. Seriously this is one of my favorite strollers I have ever “driven”. Being so easy to use one handed is such a bonus for everyday use and absolutely essential for running. Beaucase the wheels are large the Revolution Flex can go over any uneven or rough terrain without a problem. There have been curbs I have just hopped over with total ease vs struggling with some other double strollers. The maneuverability makes it perfect for jogging but also very easy for daily use.
– Smooth ride. The smooth ride is probably why my girls fall asleep on almost every run we go on (and no, I don’t go during usual nap time!). BOB strollers have a state of the art, shock absorbing suspension that creates a super smooth ride. A ride so smooth you can almost feel like the stroller is floating on air when you are pushing it.
– Easy to push. I think the combination of the first two things I love make the BOB so easy to push. I really notice and appreciate this when jogging. My usual jogging path around Central Park is really hilly so it is essential that the stroller is helping this mama out. I have no issue and feel no burden when jogging with a 34 pound stroller with 50+ pounds of little girls in it – thanks to the excellent maneuverability and superb suspension!
– Very ample storage. I was expecting so-so storage on this stroller but I was wrong. The under basket doesn’t appear huge but it really is. I can fit a TON of stuff in there and it is easy to access from the back or sides. The bonus storage is the two mesh pockets on the back of each seat. These are perfect for water bottles (for you and the kids), toys, phone or anything you want to grab quickly. Each child seat also has two small side mesh pockets for the kids to store things. My girls like to put snacks, paci’s and water bottles in there. Definitely no shortage of storage here.
– Seats. The seats are very nicely padded and the harness are very easy to adjust. My girls always love when they see the “jogging stroller” coming out and climb in immediately. They definitely do not have the same excitement for other strollers.
– Huge canopies. The canopies on the BOB Revolution Flex are awesome. Each independently adjustable canopy has several positions, the most coverage providing almost full coverage from the sun and elements. There are great in between positions that still provide shade but allow your littles to see the world pass by. The peek a book windows on the top are excellent! They of course, allow parents to peer in but also allow littles to look up, see mom/dad or get your attention if need be. The windows have a cover that attaches via velcro and they stow in the open position into little mesh pockets. An ample canopy is a must on any stroller for me and I love the canopies on the BOB.
– Adjustable handlebar. The handlebar on the Flex adjusts a total of 180° making it suitable for just about any height parent. I love this feature because it allows mom or dad to comfortably use the stroller and adjust to their preference.
– Travel system adaptable. Car seat adapters are available for purchase making your single or double BOB travel system ready. It is not recommended to jog with the infant car seat but in our mind, the infant car seat adapter is one perk that makes the BOB excellent for daily use, too.
– The BOB Revolution Flex Duallie is heavy at 34+ pounds. The two step fold is easy but picking up the stroller isn’t as easy as some others. For me, it is still manageable to put into the trunk of a Chevrolet Tahoe as well as carry across a room folded. Not to mention, the heavy nature of it translates into a sturdy, built to last stroller – a fair trade off for me.
– I wish that the seats had a more upright position. The most upright position is still quite a bit reclined and I just wish it could come up a couple more inches. Totally not a deal breaker, just a nit picky, mom thing.
– Minor gripe but I wish the peek a boo windows (which I love) had magnets intend of the more noisy velcro. My way around this is not really velcroing the flaps closed so I can always peak in on my usually sleeping girls.
– I would LOVE if the canopy had mesh sides so when they were fully extended there was more air flow to the child seat. The back flap for air flow is super nice though so this minor detail is not a huge issue as my girls have not gotten too hot in the stroller but I think it would be an awesome improvement.
I know, you may be saying, I don’t really like to run, I don’t envision going on long walks or runs with my little ones in tow – I will just get a sitter, do it when my husband is home, etc but the reality is that doesn’t always work out. Even enjoying running, I never considered registering for a BOB or even purchasing one but I realize how foolish that was, here’s why: putting your little one in a BOB and going for a power walk or run is a great way to get a little “break” during the day without having to rely on childcare. If your little one has an off day, won’t nap, etc – popping them in the BOB and going for a long walk can do everyone a little good. And even if you have a gym with free childcare, sometimes you and your littles just want to be outside and the BOB is your answer.
Another bonus is finding awesome fitness stroller classes that involve you, your littles and jogging stroller to keep you active plus a great way to meet new mom friends. Our editor Lisa, met some of her best mom friends in her stroller class (check out her tips for easy tips for staying fit as a busy mom).
For those of you concerned about size… the BOB Revolution Duallie isn’t much wider than some other seemingly, more compact double strollers (like the Baby Jogger City Mini GT which we love). The BOB is 30.6″ wide and the Baby Jogger is 29.75″ wide. It fits through normal door ways and is super maneuverable making it totally manageable for daily use.
In our opinion, the BOB Duallie makes a strong case for an everyday stroller and the bonus is that is doubles as the nearly perfect jogging stroller.
What do you think? Do you have a BOB and love it? What are/were your considerations when thinking about getting one?