We’ve been on a mission to review infant car seats and we are tackling another seat today, the Combi Shuttle and we’re thrilled to be offering a giveaway to one lucky reader! Let’s not waste any time and jump right in to the details of the Combi Shuttle:
Here’s what we like:
- Safety. Likely the most important feature we look for in car seats. The Shuttle is unique in that is the only seat with an anti-rebound bar on the seat. This is especially helpful for the times you may be using the seat without the base. The purpose of an anti-rebound bar is to minimize the movement of the seat in a crash. The anti-rebound bar stabilizes the infant seat by minimizing rotational forces in front and rear collisions. In addition the the anti-rebound bar the Shuttle is lined with energy absorbing foam and the Combi Tru-Safe Side impact protection.
- Breathable, soft fabric. You have likely come across infant car seats with nylon-y, scratchy fabric that is far from breathable or comfortable. The Shuttle has nice, soft mesh fabric that is very breathable and comfortable. The best part is the cover is really easy to remove which makes washing a breeze. For those of you in warmer climates, you’ll love this fabric.
- Premium LATCH connectors. I always mention the LATCH connectors because they make a difference. The Shuttle has easy to use, sturdy connectors that not only make base installation a breeze but also offer superior attachment to your car’s seat. The base has storage for the connectors when not in use which is a nice feature.
- Easy install. We installed the Shuttle in my 2008 Tahoe and found it to be very easy. The base is equipped with an adjustable foot leveler to allow you to adjust the base to fit properly in your car. Further, there are bubble style level indicators to ensure you have the base installed correctly.
- Overall ease of use. Generally, I found the Shuttle to be an easy car seat to use. It clicks into the base easily and is easy to pop out via the mechanism on the back of the seat. The five point harness works seamlessly, adjusts nicely and has only two rethread positions which means you only have to rethread the seat once.
However, there are some improvements I think Combi could make to make the Shuttle even better:
- The Shuttle has an ample canopy made of the same nice mesh fabric I talked about earlier however, it makes a “clicking” sound as you adjust it. This is really only an issue if you have to adjust the canopy with a sleeping child.
- The handlebar is ergonomically designed which does make it more comfortable to carry verse some other models but I found it to be a bit tough to adjust.
- The Shuttle is compatible with Combi strollers creating a travel system however, we didn’t find adapters for other stroller brands. Combi does have some very decent stroller options but for those wanting a different brand of stroller you’ll likely not be able to have a travel system.
Overall, we really like the Combi Shuttle. It is a very safe car seat with premium features at a an affordable price point. As mentioned, we are giving away a Combi Shuttle in Teal. Note, this giveaway is the sample we were sent. It is brand new but we tested the install, features and placed a tester baby in the seat. The giveaway starts today, March 23rd and ends Saturday March 29th at 3pm CST. Winner will be chosen at random, contacted via email and have five days to claim their prize before another winner is selected.