For the past 18 months, we have happily used our Baby Jogger double strollers (both the tandem and side-by-side versions). When the twins were younger, we loved the tandem stroller because we could attach both carseats to it. Then, once they got a little older and graduated to the actual seats, they loved to face each other (and David also faced me, which he loved, while Audrey faced out to watch the world). Recently, they got so big that I started using the side-by-side stroller. While I absolutely love it (both toddlers face forward, it has sturdy wheels, and a big sun canopy), it really has been a hassle to get in and out of the car for quick trips. I have finally started going back to the gym with the twins, and now that the weather is nice, I like to be able to take them on errands with me. Because of that, however, I need an option that will allow me to quickly get in and out of the car. Also, with wrist and ankle injuries, I needed something lighter weight. Thankfully, we could try out a double umbrella stroller.
Umbrella strollers aren’t necessarily made for their sturdiness (though some are). They are made to be lightweight and easily to fold up and store in the trunk of a car. When we started looking for double umbrella strollers, I knew that I wanted something lightweight and folded rather small. I didn’t care about cargo space underneath or other extra storage. I just wanted the basics. After a lot of looking around, we decided on the Delta Children LX Side X Side Stroller. Once we started using it, I was pleasantly surprised with all that this stroller offered, despite its low price tag and even lower weight.
- weighs 18.3 pounds (one of the lightest weight double strollers on the market)
- maximum child weight 35 pounds each
- has independent canopies that can be angled to block sun from multiple angles
- forward facing
- 360 degree swivel wheels
- has a detachable parent cup holder with two attachment points
- five-point safety harnesses
- compact folding
- two mesh pockets behind each seat
- fits through standard 30″ doors (dimensions: 31.2″W x 29.6″D x 37.3″H)
- short enough separator so that both passengers can see each other
- need two hands to fold
- can’t use foot release with sandals
- handle position takes some getting used to (quite low and far apart)
- not a lot of storage
- best if used on paved paths
- low seat height
- difficulty adjusting/tightening seat back
Overall, we really like this double stroller. It is so fast and easy to set up and put away, and it stores to be so small! It is exactly what we need for quick trips about and about.