I first heard of the ezpz Happy Mat months ago, but we didn’t have a need for it until recently. Lately, my 19 month old twins want to turn everything into a hat, especially their food bowls and plates… usually before they have totally finished eating their meals. So dinners tend to look like this:
After the first time that David did this, causing yogurt and blueberry juice to get all over his curly hair, I decided that it was time to look into the ezpz Happy Mat more seriously. This is a mommy-invented, Kickstarter-funded, wildly-popular product that is coming up on its first anniversary. It is such a brilliant idea: a plate with a wide base that stays “suctioned” onto the table and doesn’t move. These are the main features that set it apart from other toddler plates:
- 100% silicone
- dishwasher safe
- BPA free
- phthalate free
- does not harbor bacteria
- can’t be pushed off the table or moved easily
- can easily be pulled off by adults
- stacks easily for serving and clean-up
- smaller compartments are 1/2 cup each
- larger “smile” compartment is 1 and 1/4 cup large
- vibrant colors
- incredibly easy silicone to clean
There are a few points that I want to emphasize:
- First of all, I love the colors available. I know that that is a small and seemingly insignificant point, but when you live in a world of pink and blue for your boy/girl twins (often pastels), it’s really nice to have such bright and happy colors. Plus, Audrey and David really take well to those bright colors.
- Second, these are really sturdy, yet they are also made with the best mommy-approved type of silicone. I’ve come across many silicone items that are hard to clean, but these are the same material as my favorite bibs (the Make My Day bib, featured here). Total win for material!
- Also, they fit perfectly in a dishwasher (bottom rack), and yes you really can fit them in so that they can be totally cleaned. But, honestly, because of this type of silicone, you can really easily hand-wash them.
- What a smart addition to have each of the compartments actually be easy measurements! When we have to figure out how much children should be eating (usually while having those children crying for their meal or pulling on your pants to get your attention, this is a wonderful way to be more exact than just eyeballing it. In addition, they make great cupholders, as Audrey found out.
- Finally, the main purpose of the mat is to stay grounded in one position. If you have children that really want to pull it off of the table, they will. That being said, one of our bigger problems is the flinging of arms and cups, causing plates and bowls to go flying. But once you securely place the ezpz mat down (place on the table and then push down in the corners and in the center), it can’t be pushed around. So this is one mat that can’t fly off the table and into the dog’s water bowl. Because of its overall weight, it takes a while for our toddlers to pull at it and pick it off the table, and that’s usually enough time for us to remind them to leave it alone and refocus their attention on the food and not the mat.
Because this is a mom-made product, Lindsey (the creator and mom of three boys) has really taken suggestions for improvement to heart. Their updated version, the Happy Bowl, has a more graduated edge, which is meant to make it harder for children to lift off the edges to pick up the mat. It is also smaller, which can fit better (and more securely) on high chair trays.
To finish off the line of ezpz products, there is also the Micro Mat (a Happy Mat for your Legos and action figures), a Snack Mat (for adults and children’s snacks), and a Play Mat (for sorting, painting, drawing with dry-erase markers, and other imaginative activities). To see all of their lineup and colors available, you can shop in their online store or in many local retailers.
Overall, I really like our Happy Mats. While my twins can still figure out how to pick them off the table, they are much less likely to do it with these as opposed to just their other plates or bowls. The security where they can’t be knocked off during a tantrum adds such a peace of mind to mealtime.
How would you like to win an ezpz Happy Mat? One lucky winner will be chosen from the widget below and will get to pick their choice of color! The giveaway starts today, Friday July 17th and ends Wednesday, July 22nd at noon EST. The winner will be selected at random, contacted via email and have five days to claim their prize before another winner is randomly selected. Good luck!
We would never accept money for any reviews, although we did receive two ezpz Happy Mats to try as a part of this review.