I realize “perfect” roast chicken is a BIG claim to make but that is how confident I feel about this recipe. When you are finished slow roasting the chicken it is falling off the bone tender, and the skin is crispy and delicious. Both my boys LOVED this chicken.
Best part it is 6 ingredients (most you probably have on hand) and you get to put it in the oven and forget it all day. A great meal for moms who want to make something ahead go about the day and then have an amazing dinner ready. The chicken is placed in a roasting pan tightly sealed with foil and cooked on 200 degrees for 8 hours. Right before you are ready to serve flip over and turn the heat up to crisp the skin. SO SIMPLE! It is so beautiful and delicious you could serve it for a dinner party as well. We had ours with a simple side of roasted potatoes (recipe, here) and a salad. Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken washed and dried (I used organic)
- 2 lemons
- fresh thyme (I used 1 container from grocery store)
- head of garlic peeled
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- rub the bird generously with olive oil, salt, and pepper
- stuff the thyme in the cavity
- take a about half your garlic cloves and stuff under the skin. place the remaining cloves in the cavity
- slice lemons in half and squeeze on bird and stuff in the cavity, at least one half should fit
- turn the bird breast side down and wrap in foil tightly
- place in 200 degree oven for 8 hrs
- when ready to eat flip the bird and crank the heat to 400 so the skin gets crispy. this happens fast in my oven so make sure you watch it closely!