In honor of Cinco de Mayo I have a GREAT and easy Mexican meal for the whole family! These steak tacos are so tasty and require very little time and effort. All you need to do is make a spice mix, chop a few veggies and throw it all in your slow cooker and voila dinner is served. I use flank steak purchased at Costco so I can make a huge batch and keep cost down. I make almost 4 pounds at once and it lasts us 4-5 days. Once you have the steak made its great because you can use it for tacos, to top a salad, burritos, and Hanks favorite quesadillas. Basically you get multiple meals for the work and price of one!
- 4 pounds of flank steak
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon of following spices: corainder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper (omit this if your kids dont like spice)
- 1.5 tablespoons salt
- for serving taco shells, salsa, gucamole, sour cream…. whatever your crew likes!
- mix all the spices in a bowl
- chop the veggies
- put the spice mix all over meat in the slow cooker and add the veggies
- cook on high for 8 hours (half way in I go and start shredding the meat so it cooks faster)
- when finished I dump some of the extra water released from the veggies and finish shredding with a fork