Yay for Wednesday! Today is the day we feature y’all’s favorite baby products. I have to admit, I love, love these features, I could say they were my favorites. I love hearing what works for other mama’s and I know you do too. Today’s mama has a great list – both of gear and “mama helpers” like the gripe water, who doesn’t need a lifesaver in their back pocket (or medicine cabinet?)?!? Enjoy Cindy’s fabulous list and if you are interested in sharing your list – email me!
I’m a first time mom in my mid-40s and all of my friends’ kids are teenagers! Therefore, while they had helpful new mommy advice, they weren’t able to tell me about current baby gear. I relied on the Wise Baby product reviews and Real Mom posts to figure out what we needed. The incredibly useful, practical reviews and recommendations were so helpful! Now that my little guy is five months old, I wanted to return the favor and share our favorites.
We live in a 2100 sq. foot house in a mid-sized town in the Southeastern US. So while we have room to store baby gear, I wanted to minimize clutter and get only what was necessary. Here are the top things we have used and loved:
1. Fisher-Price Kick and Play Piano Gym – Jonathan loves to wriggle, move, and kick, and this activity gym has been a perfect fit for him! At first he would kick the piano keys and smile at himself in the hanging mirror. Then he moved on to batting and learning how to grab onto the dangling toys. And the colorful mat was perfect for tummy time. Now that he’s able to sit on his own, we’ve turned the piano upright and he’s back to playing with the keys and music. I love how versatile this toy has been over the past few months!
2. Just Born Whale Bath Luve Buddy – It took me a little while to figure out why Jonathan didn’t like baths – it was because he was cold! A family friend gave us this terrycloth bath buddy, and it immediately made a difference. The size and shape is perfect for baby’s torso, it doesn’t fall off, it’s cute, and most importantly, it keeps him warm!
3. Sock ONS – These clever little things do exactly what they say they’ll do – keep baby socks on! You put them on over each sock and the snug fit keeps them in place. Jonathan has discovered his feet and loves to pull off his socks, but on those cold winter outings these have been helpful for keeping his socks on and his feet warm.
4. BabyConnect app – This app has been worth every penny and then some. I’m not a numbers person and keeping track of baby details would have been a challenge for me. But a quick entry on this app is easy to do, and its’ been so helpful! By looking at the graphs I was able to start seeing Jonathan’s patterns early on, which helped me get to know him faster! I could more easily tell what was “normal” for him on a day to day basis… things like how many diapers he averaged a day and his sleeping patterns. I especially like that either my husband or I can make an entry and it immediately syncs to both of our devices.
5. Mommys Bliss Gripe Water – We call this the “miracle water” at our house because the amazing results we’ve seen with it! Just a few drops seem to take away gas pains! One night not long after we brought Jonathan home from the hospital, he wouldn’t stop crying. After trying everything else I knew to do, I spied the Gripe Water across the room and thought “let’s try it”… and after one dose he almost immediately stopped crying and settled back to sleep. It was (and continues to be) a welcome lifesaver!
6. Lamaze Play and Grow Freddy Firefly – While we are fortunate to have space to store toys, my favorite things are practical and multi-use. This toy is both of those and more! As a newborn, Jonathan was attracted to the black and white designs on the back of Freddy’s wings. Over time he started noticing the colors and crinkling sounds. Once he learned to grab onto things, he is fascinated by all of the shapes and parts this has to offer. This one toy is growing with him and I suspect it will be in our toybox for quite some time to come!
7. Look, Look! board book by Peter Linenthal – I had heard over and over the importance of reading to your baby from a young age. This colorful board book is a perfect combination of attention-grabbing words and pictures. Jonathan was mesmerized by the black, white, and red patterns on each page, and I felt good about establishing a daily reading habit. We have probably looked at this book every single day and he hasn’t grown tired of it yet!
8. Earth Mama Angel Baby Angel Baby Bottom Balm – We use this all-natural healing balm every day to prevent diaper rash and love it! It’s got a nice clean scent, and I really like that it doesn’t contain artificial ingredients. While it’s a bit pricey, the small jar that has lasted a long time – a little goes a long way!