My favorite mid-week activity, real mom Wednesday! We’ve got a pretty mama and her gorgeous little gal up today with a great list of favorites. Erica’s list is full of really handy pieces of gear that are true “mama helpers”. She also included some of her very popular favorites at the end of her post and points out a favorite that will always top my list – COFFEE! Enjoy Erica’s round up and if you’d like to share your favorites, we’d love to have you – all the easy peasy details are, here for you!
I’m Erica, first-time Mommy to Ella, a very happy and spirited 6 month old! We live in a small home in the San Francisco Bay Area, so items that take up little room and make life with an infant that much easier are essential.
Even though I researched baby products like crazy to prepare myself for Mommyhood, there were several products that became life-savers only after experiencing life with a newborn. Here are some items that have helped me a great deal in the last 6 months!
1. WaterWipes – In the hospital, dry cloths that were wet with water were used for diaper changes. I didn’t realize that regular wipes could be so harsh on newborn skin. I adapted this method at home, but it didn’t work so well for on-the-go and took up some precious time in those early days. I found these Water Wipes on Amazon with rave reviews and gave them a try. They are 99% water with a little grapefruit extract. Ella never had a diaper rash and I credit using these super gentle water wipes.
2. Coconut Oil – Along with the water wipes, when Ella had an extra messy or sticky poop, I’d dribble some coconut oil on her bum, which made it super easy to wipe right up – natural, gentle and no excessive wiping. This kept her skin irritation free and it’s an item I always have on hand.
3. Medela Nursing Pads – In the early days, I was a big leaker and had to wear breast pads 24/7. I still do, mostly only at night though. After trying several cloth varieties, the Medela disposable breast pads were the only pads that could soak up a large amount of milk without leaking through my clothes. Plus they stay put and are not noticeable through your top.
4. Solly Baby Wrap – I started out with a couple of popular wraps that just didn’t feel right. After seeing so many mommy bloggers rave about the solly baby wrap, I decided to give it a try. It really is that awesome: super soft and easy to tie. Works for both me and my husband and Ella seems very content and comfortable as well. Plus the wraps come in so many chic colors, what’s not to love? Did I mention machine washable?
5. Goumi Kids Set – I can’t say enough good things about this brand that makes sets of little booties, hats and mittens. After countless socks and baby shoes slipping right off, I nearly gave up on keeping Ella’s feet covered until I tried Goumi. I use the booties and the hat regularly and these things stay put all.day.long. Plus they made of super soft bamboo and organic cotton, light and breathable. They come in ivory with fun little patterns and are completely machine washable.
6. OxiClean Baby Stain Fighter – After sacrificing a few of Ella’s onesies to avocado and blueberry stains, I needed a stain remover to get the job done. This one is free of dyes, fragrance, chlorine, etc. and really gets all of the baby stains out.
7. Eddie Bauer Blanket– I received this as a gift when Ella was a couple of months old and I couldn’t imagine not having it! It makes travel so easy because it’s a built-in blanket/cover. You can easily unzip and fold to the side when not in use. It also makes Ella’s car seat super plush. I was extra thankful I had this when Ella had explosive poops. I simply removed the cover and machine washed instead of having to disassemble her car seat.
8. Skip Hop Pronto Changing Station – This thing has got to be my most utilized and favorite piece of baby gear. It just makes diaper changes anytime, anywhere, so easy! I can store enough diapers and wipes for the day and fold/unfold it right up with one hand.
9. Cloud B Sleep Sheep – Living in a one bedroom can be pretty difficult when baby is sleeping. Even though I tried to get Ella accustomed to some noise from the beginning, she’s rather a light sleeper. When I put her down to sleep, I’ll turn on her sleep sheep, that way she doesn’t wake up at the sound of a floor or door creak.
10. Plush Crib Sheet Savers – I love using these in Ella’s crib. It makes those times when Ella spits up in her crib much more manageable. I simply swap it out rather than having to remove her entire crib bedding. Definitely something to be thankful for in the middle of the night.
My other baby favorites that are also Wise Baby frequenters are: Boppy Newborn Lounger, 4moms Mamaroo & Bathtub, Tomme Tippe Bibs and Aden & Anais Swaddle Blankets.
If I could, I’d also include my Nespresso Machine – my saving grace for the late nights and early mornings.