Happy Wednesday Wise Mama’s! Today we have super savvy, small space, NYC living mama sharing her favorite baby products with you. You can tell Hitha has done her research and her list will be super helpful to any mama. Enjoy her list (and the bonus apartment tour) and if you would like to share your line up of favorites – we would love to have you. All the details are here. There is no acceptance process as long as the requirements listed on our details page are sent in, we share your favorites!
I’m the mother to a feisty 4 month old boy, Rho. We live in New York City in a 2-bedroom apartment (which you can see here in its pre-baby glory) – the nursery is our former home office, which we’ve moved to the living/dining room. ‘On the go’ sums up our lives – we love exploring the city and traveling (Rho already has his passport and United Mileage Plus account), and seek items that are portable and lightweight. Bonus points if they look great!
1. Doona car seat – Words can’t describe how much we love this car seat – ideal for quick errands around the city, trips that may result in a cab or Uber home, and most importantly TRAVEL. It’s great having a stroller in the airport and a car seat in flight and once we arrive on hand at all times.
2. Kissy Kissy Playsuit – my FAVORITE baby clothing. The playsuits are easy to put on and remove for diaper changes, are SO soft, and hold up beautifully wash after wash. Buy 5-7 in your baby’s current size and you’re set for daytime clothing while they’re at that size.
3. Piyo Piyo Baby Nail Scissors – the BEST way to trim a squirmy baby’s nails. Fast, easy, and painless.
4. Roberta Roller Rabbit quilt – this cozy quilt is a mainstay in the living room. Perfect for Rho’s tummy time, for us to curl up under and watch a movie, and beautiful enough to arrange over a chair.
5. Anya Hindmarch Baby Emergency pouch – It’s pricey, but it makes any bag of mine a diaper bag while keeping Rho’s essentials organized perfectly.
6. Sleeping Bag cut into a 1’ x 3’ rectangle – city living means you’ll be changing your kid’s diaper ANYWHERE – the floors of bathrooms, park benches, etc. I cut up a rectangle of an old sleeping bag to make on-the-go changes more clean (the cloth goes straight into the washing machine the second we get home). It also makes the whole process more comfortable for Rho – especially when I’m changing him on the floor of a restaurant bathroom. Ick.
7. Tumblr – We created a password-protected Tumblr blog for Rho that we regularly update with pictures, videos, and funny anecdotes. It allows our friends and family to stay up-to-date with him while offering a level of digital privacy. The Tumblr app makes it easy to upload media. I plan to make a printed baby book from the uploads for his first birthday.
8. Blooming Bath Infant Bath – city apartments are notorious for small and inconveniently-designed bathrooms. The Blooming Baby is perfect for kitchen sink baths, and can be used as a cushion for his Boon tub once he’s bigger. I throw mine in the dryer after his bath so it’s ready to go for the next day!
9. Miracle Blanket + aden + anais bamboo swaddles – Katherine gave me the BRILLIANT advice of double swaddling for nighttime sleeps. This trick got Rho to sleep through the night instantly. We use a Miracle Blanket first, and then a bamboo swaddle for Aden + Anis (perfectly for the summertime).
10. Boon Fresh Changing Station – I’ve been peed on more times than I can count. Having one less item to throw in the washing machine during those cases makes life easier – just clean this changing station with a wipe and you’re good to go!