Happy Wednesday y’all! I hope your week is off to a great start. Today we have a wise mama sharing a great list of products for her cutie pie little guy. Jen’s list is full of products I would include on my favorite’s list, too and I am sure many of you will also agree. A big thanks to Jen for sharing and if you’d like to share – email me. Happy Real Mom Wednesday!
I am a first-time mom to a sweet and smiley baby boy, Tristan. We live in a suburban area in Iowa with plenty of space for all of Tristan’s trinkets, and babies can sure accumulate a lot of them! Here are several of our favorites that have earned a permanent spot during the first two and a half months of his fun life!
1. Boppy Newborn Lounger – This thing is AWESOME! It was recommended by a friend and I consider it the best money we spent. Tristan absolutely loves to sit in it and look around, he naps in it, and it’s super easy to move from room to room (you can set it on the bed, the kitchen counter, the couch, etc.). It’s very convenient to set him in this when I need both hands to do something, or if my arm muscles just need a little break! I HIGHLY recommend one and it’s my new go-to baby gift for expectant mamas.
2. HALO SleepSack Swaddle – We tried several brands of swaddles and these were definitely our favorites. The Summer Infant swaddles were featured a lot by real moms, but Tristan’s little fists popped out the bottom early on and they were too short by week 8 — so I found they aren’t great for babies with long limbs. The Halo ones, however, are no-brainers to swaddle and he still fits in the newborn size at week 10. Plus, they came in varying materials, key for living in a drastically changing climate!
3. Mustela 2-In-1 Hair & Body Shampoo – We’ve used this from day one and Tristan has had zero skin issues — no rashes, cradle cap, diaper rashes, etc. I’ve read that this is great for babies with sensitive skin, so I’m not sure if he hasn’t had problems because we’ve been using this or if he just has good luck. Also, I’m a big proponent of cruelty-free products and Mustela does not test on animals, so I’m a big fan. Not to mention this stuff smells so good that I’m tempted to use it on myself, too!
4. White on Black and Black on White by Tana Hoben- We received these as hand-me-downs and I’m so glad we did! Tristan is fascinated by the contrasting images and it’s a quick and easy “read” (I use quotation marks because there aren’t actually words, just pictures). It’s never too early to ready books with your baby and this is an excellent one (or two) to get you started. Yet another favorite baby gift for mama-to-be friends.
5. WubbaNub pacifiers – Tristan isn’t a huge pacifier guy, but if he’s going to take one, only the WubbaNub will do! The stuffed animal portion gives him something to hold onto and feel, plus it makes it easier for him to grab when it falls out of his mouth. Also, he enjoys putting the stuffed part in his mouth as much as the actual pacifier. And for us, they are easier to locate than a plain pacifier, so that helps!
6. Cloud b Tranquil Turtle Night Light – I love this to use at night, it gives off enough light to be able to see what I’m doing, but not so bright that it wakes Tristan and me up more than we need to be. And I love the ocean wave sound machine part of it, I pretend I’m on the beach as I’m feeding him or falling asleep. Plus, it’s just so darn cute!
7. Fisher-Price Discover ‘n Grow Kick and Play Piano Gym – I first heard about this gem from none other than the Wise Baby! When I read it was great for babies who like to kick, I knew it was a must-have for Tristan — he looks like he’s running a marathon 24/7! It has been a huge hit since the minute we put him down on it — playing the piano will his feet and now using his formidable grip on the toys hanging from the overhead bar. It also has a mirror for him to check himself out in, one of his favorite pastimes! I can lay him down to play and he’ll be content for an hour, meaning I can actually get stuff done with two arms!
8. Relax Melodies App – I learned very early on that hearing the hairdryer was calming for Tristan during crying fits. However, traveling with a hairdryer is less than practical, so I turned to noise apps. After trying several, this one earned the #1 spot. It is free (yay!), has a large variety of noises to choose from (including a vacuum, which has the same effect as a hairdryer) and lets you layer the sounds, a cool feature. And since it’s on your phone, you always have it with you and that means one less thing to find and pack in the diaper bag!