Happy real mama day! Wednesday posts are some of my favorite to put together because I get to see what other mama’s love too AND share it with you. Today’s mama, Jovana, has a great line up for us. From some favorite pieces of gear to the not so expected but uber helpful products (#1 below) you’ll enjoy her list. If you would like to share your favorites email me for the easy details – we’d love to have you!
Hello! I am a first time mom to three month old Andreja. We live in a small suburb north of Chicago. Our house is right across the street from a large park that will come in very handy for our summer walks this year. Below are several items that have been essential in getting through these first three months. We hope other new moms will find these useful as well!
1. Puppy Changing Pads – Hands down, the number one item we’ve used since the birth of Andreja. We had left over pads after we got our sweet dog two years ago and I didn’t want to throw them away. So I thought maybe I can place these on top of the changing pad cover just in case baby has some accidents, and boy, has she had many accidents! These pads absorb everything – number 1s and 2s, plus spit up. Easy clean up as you just pick up the pad and throw it away. No washing of the changing pad cover and my new go-to baby shower gift! We’re already on our second pack!
2. Gerber Cloth Diapers – I didn’t realize that breastfeeding would be so messy, especially in the beginning when your supply is all over the place. These cloth diapers double as great burb cloths and are super absorbent.
3. Levana BABYVIEW20 Video Baby Monitor – We weren’t really interested in registering for a baby monitor and once we did decide to buy one I wanted the number one brand. However, my mom ended up purchasing the Levana video monitor through a Groupon deal and this has probably been the second most used item. Andreja has been sleeping in her own room since she was about one month old and it’s great to be able to see and hear her if I’m downstairs cleaning, cooking, or just relaxing. It’s not the number one brand, but it suits our needs just fine.
4. Sassy Ring O’ Links – Simple, colorful, and baby loves them. I like to hang these from the mobile on the 4moms Rockaroo and Andreja loves to grasp and chew on them.
5. Ikea POANG Rocking Chair – We weren’t looking to spend a lot on a glider for the nursery and then we found this budget-friendly rocking chair at IKEA. It’s sleek, modern, and has been getting plenty of use with our morning/evening feeds. The cushions come in several different colors so you could easily coordinate the colors for your nursery.
6. Look, Look! Book – During those first few months, babies respond really well to high-contrast black-and-white objects. I like to think that Andreja really enjoyed this book from her smiles and the widening of her eyes each time I would turn a page. Wonderful first book for babies!
7. Motherlove Organic Nipple Cream – Breastfeeding was a beast those first 2 months and my nipples suffered greatly. At first I used lanolin, but it was too thick and sticky for my liking. I actually saw this on a “Real Moms” post and immediately purchased it. It melts easily on the skin and really does soften and heal.
8. Summer Infant SwaddleMe – Although we recently stopped swaddling at 14 weeks, I like to credit the SwaddleMe for helping Andreja sleep through the night. It keeps baby nice and tight, preventing them from startling themselves awake.