It’s our favorite day of the week around these parts – real mom Wednesday! Today’s hard working, on-the-go mama has one of the BEST lists for working mama’s. From the goods and gear you need for pumping to the trick to getting out the door efficiently (which all moms could use, right?) Lauren’s list is jam packed full of wise picks! Enjoy her list and if you have some favorites to share, we would love to have you. There is no accept/deny as long as all the details listed, here are submitted to us!
Hi! I’m Lauren, momma to curious 8 month old boy and a stubborn but loveable dog. We live in Dallas, Texas. Dad and I both work full time, so I tried to focus on the things that are particularly useful for me as a working mom without re-listing so many of the Real Mom favorites that are already a staple for us (Merlin’s Magic Sleep Suit!).
1. JL Childress 6 Bottle Cooler — I have two of these: one for the bottles I use for pumping at work, and one for bottles we send to daycare. The bottom holds four bottles and a big ice pack, while the top part holds flanges (for pumping) or food (for daycare).
2. OXO Tot On-the-Go Travel Drying Rack with Bottle Brush – another must-have for traveling. This brush is just slightly smaller than their regular bottle brush, which means it is the perfect size for our Medela bottles! And the carrying case with built in drying stand is perfect when you’re in a hotel room and don’t want to spread bottles and pump parts out on the table.
3. Skip Hop Chelsea Downtown Chic Diaper Bag — I LOVE this diaper bag! I use it as my purse, and no one at work has ever noticed the difference. I keep baby’s stuff in the main compartment, and my stuff is separate in the zippered front section.
4. Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra – I imagine every pumping mom already knows about this, but my advice is to buy two. It is a life saver and the only way I can keep working while I’m pumping. After I forgot it at home one day and had to hold the bottles while I pumped, I made sure to get a backup – one that lives in my pump bag, and one that lives in my desk.
5. Circo crew socks (from Target) – the crew style is extra long, so they stay on really well (until he decides to pull them off…) In fact, our entire daycare class has given up on other brands, and they all wear these socks now.
6. eBags Crew Cooler II and Fit & Fresh Cool Coolers Slim Ice Packs – technically, this is two items, but I always use them together. If you’re traveling (for business or for fun), this cooler and ice pack combo is a great size for both bottles and bags of frozen milk. The ice packs are thin and flat, so they can go between frozen milk bags to keep things cold until you get back home, and the cooler slides right over the handle on your suitcase so it is easy to travel with.
7. Bobeau One Button Asymmetrical Cardigan – the perfect multi-tasker for keeping warm and covering up while pumping. I’ve used it as a regular cardigan in a chilly office and on an airplane, and also used it to cover up while pumping. I love that it isn’t specialty nursing clothing, but it works great when I need some extra coverage or warmth.
8. i play. BabySolid Brim Sun Protection Hat UPF 50+ – a lightweight hat with a big brim is essential in the Texas sun. Given how quickly babies grow, we love that these hats are adjustable and can grow with him. We got it this spring, and it will easily last us through fall. One lives at daycare, and one lives with our Ergo360 carrier (another favorite – he loves facing out!)
9. Chatbooks – let’s be honest, I don’t have time to scrapbook. Chatbooks are the perfect way to preserve memories without having to think about it. I set up a private Instagram account just for our son and quickly snap and post 1 baby picture every day — every 60 pictures, these books magically arrive! We added both sets of grandparents to our account as a gift, so they receive the books too. Now, everyone has a beautiful collection of pictures and I don’t have to do extra work. Bonus: the books look great displayed on the coffee table and the grandparents love getting this periodic surprise in the mail.
10. BABYBJORN Bouncer Balance Soft – this is the only way I can get ready and out the door in the morning. We used the Fisher-Price vibrating bouncer when he was little, and now that he is bigger we’ve switched to the Baby Bjorn. After he is ready for the day, I bring him into our bedroom and put him in the bouncer while I get ready. He is content to bounce and watch me, and I don’t have to worry about his safety. As soon as I’m done, I move him to the car seat and we’re off to daycare and work!