Happy Wednesday! I am happy it is Wednesday 1) because I love hearing a great list of a real moms favorite baby products and 2) somehow I am already ready for the weekend (I think I was on Monday). Luckily, we have wise mama Michelle sharing her favorites today. She has loads of my favorite brands showcased here (Britax, aden + anais to name a few). So enjoy her list and woo-hoo, we are inching closer the weekend! xo Oh and don’t miss our real moms favorites page for the info on how to submit your favorites – we are in need of volunteers!
I’m Michelle and I am a stay at home momma to Levi, who is a very spunky 9 month old. I live in a Memphis, TN suburb and when looking for baby products, I am drawn to products that would be useful for as long as possible and could be used for other children later on. I had a hard time listing my very favorites and decided not to list any toys or clothing items since those seem to differ so widely just based on each baby! And honestly, Levi loves so many toys, but often would rather play with the TV remote and Tupperware containers. All the items I have on this list are things we have loved and used daily for quite a while and will for a while, and hopefully for the next baby also.
1. aden + anais Swaddle Blanket – I cannot truly explain how useful these are. We have used them as blankets, burp cloths, nursing covers, stroller liners, etc. Levi HATED being swaddled, but he has always loved holding a blanket for comfort- and these are so light and breathable that I didn’t worry if they got close to his face. And they are generously sized at 47×47. Levi’s favorites are the dino-mite print (I think because the dinosaurs are a little brighter than some) but he will love on any of them – and we have many many! I don’t feel like you can have too many. All of our are used regularly and we probably have about 20!
2. Cloud B Tranquil Turtle (Aqua) – This adorable turtle makes the most amazingly calm ocean water like motions in light you will ever see. It also has the option to have soothing ocean sounds or music play. Before Levi was born, my husband, Chris, and I tested it out and Chris wanted to steal it for us! When Levi is tired and fussy, I can lay him down with this on and he almost immediately is focused on the waves and drifts off to sleep.
3. Chewbeads – My mom bought me one of these cute necklaces before Levi was born and I wore it all the time without anyone ever knowing it was a teething toy also. Even though Levi still has no teeth, he’s been gnawing on everything he can for quite a while now, and he loves this thing. It also is an amazing distraction while nursing. He’s reached the stage where he I end up with a foot on my face and hands clawing at my mouth, but with this on, he fiddles with it instead.
4. Ergobaby Original Sea Skipper Baby Carrier – Levi and I both enjoy baby wearing. Levi would rather be held all the time than anything, so sometimes it is a necessity too. He’s also a chunk, so I need something now that is comfortable for holding him long periods. The ergo is perfect. We are both happy with it and it’s quick and easy to use. Also, I get TONS of compliments on this adorable aqua and gray anchor print.
5. Sophie the Giraffe Teether – I initially thought these were over priced for a silly rubber giraffe. But oh my, Levi loves this guy! I’m not sure exactly what it is about it, but I really believe it’s magic. Levi has a cousin named Sophia, so his giraffe is called Sammie around here to avoid confusion, but regardless of her/his name this little giraffe is the most chewed on/played with toy we have. My dad even got Levi a giant stuffed Sammie because he loves it so much!
6. BRICA Baby In-Sight Magical Firefly mirror – At first I wanted a super plain, non-baby looking mirror. Just something simple and functional. But, then Levi seemed to hate the car. There is nothing worse than your baby crying and not being able to comfort them because you are driving. This mirror helps so much- it has lights around and in the mirror that mimic the soft flashes of light that fireflies make. It also plays music- an upbeat selection and a soothing “bedtime” assortment. The best part is that it has a remote so you can turn it on, switch modes, and adjust volume from the front seat. When Levi gets fussy it helps to soothe and distract him. The music is pleasant and not annoying like most baby toys.
7. Britax B-Ready Stroller, Navy Blue – when Levi was first born we had a graco travel system, which we loved, but as Levi grew he was quickly uncomfortable in his infant seat, so we switched him to a convertible seat. Well, he did not like facing out in the regular part of the stroller. We learned he wanted to be facing us, like he was when in the infant seat in the stroller. The Britax b-ready is modular and Levi can face either way. He loves strolling in this seat. It also has the option to add a second seat and become a tandem double stroller for whenever we have another baby.
8. Levana Snuza monitor – The idea of SIDS terrified me. We had the angelcare monitor (which we also loved), but especially at the beginning, he slept in his rock n play at night and all different places during the day, and I would sit and watch him breathe. This little monitor can be used anywhere. It simply clips to their diaper and vibrates and alarms if it does not sense a breath. It went off once because he had knocked it off his diaper and it was no longer touching him, and boy that thing is loud! But we know it works! It has given me so much peace of mind and is so easy to use.
9. Fisher-Price My Little Snugapuppy Deluxe Bouncer – When Levi was first born this bouncy seat was the perfect solution for me to set Him down a moment in a safe, comfortable place. It is light and portable and plays music/soothing noises and also has a vibrate function. Around 8 weeks old, Levi was crying during “the witching hour” and NOTHING me and Chris did was working. Finally Chris put him in his seat on vibrate and sat in front of him and bounced him. Like a light switch, Levi immediately stopped crying and within 5 minutes was sound asleep. It was our miracle worker. At 8 months old, Levi still loves to take a little snooze in it occasionally. I don’t know if I would have survived the first few months without it and it is still a very loved item.
10. Blooming Bath Baby Bath (blue) – This bath liner is so easy to use, made me much more comfortable bathing Levi when he was a tiny little thing in the sink, and we still use it now as soft floor to the big bathtub. I wash it and dry it in the machine with all other laundry and still looks brand new after 9 months of regular use!