Happy Wednesday! Today is the day one of our real mama’s shares her favorite baby products. We all love these features because they include products that are tested and approved by real moms. Today’s mama has a great list and quite funny commentary so I know you will ENJOY! We are always looking for more real moms to share their favorites, so if you are interested email me for the easy details.
I am a first-time mom to Lorelei, a bright eyed seven month old girl with a talent for gnawing on her feet and terrifying our dogs with her squeals of joy. We live in ranch style home in a teeny tiny West Texas town about three hours outside of Dallas… it’s a little dusty. Being a new mom and not living close to a big city I’ve relied on the internet and sites like Wise Baby for help in choosing the best options (and deals) for our little one. Here are some of my favorites, without which I’m not sure I would have survived these past few months.
1. Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags – Who hates doing the dishes? This mom! Who hates running out of bottles, pump accessories, pacifiers, lids, etc because she hates doing the dishes? This mom! These bags are designed to sterilize their contents in as little as a minute and a half with just a few ounces of water. I started using them just to clean my pump accessories but now, I use them to clean anything when I don’t have time to wait for a dishwasher cycle.
2. Seventh Generation Free and Clear Baby Diapers – There are as many diapers and brands out there as there are moms and babies so figuring out the right option for us was challenging. If you have a fun size baby like mine, they seem to fit a little better/smaller than the other brands and they’re really absorbent. I’d suggest sizing up if your baby is a more traditional height and weight. I am like the Diet Coke of crunchy moms but I do like that they seem to have fewer chemicals than the other brands and they are generally a little easier on the environment as disposables go.
3. Modern Circle Mobile from marjendesigns (on Etsy)
I chose the nursery color scheme of orange and kind of a teal-ish blue based on some amazing wallpaper I found and from there I worked on building the rest of the design elements. Etsy was my go-to site for anything custom and the Modern Circle Mobile from marjendesigns allowed us to pick a mobile in our color scheme. I was initially concerned about the packaging and if I would have to put the thing together but it came assembled and packaged so well that nothing tangled. My daughter loved this mobile from the first time she could see further than 18 inches! It spins with the touch of your hand, it is fun and modern, and you can request custom colors and a lot of different shapes besides circles to complement your nursery décor.
4. bumGenius Free Time All-In-One One-Size Cloth Diaper – We use these just on the weekends and days when our daughter is not at daycare and I really love them. I was intimidated by cloth diapering and knew I needed an all-in-one option to even try it and these have been wonderful. Even though it says they fit as small as 8lbs, they didn’t fit my daughter well until she was closer to 10lbs so keep that in mind. Cotton Babies has fairly regular sales and you can get the “one-off” diapers and inserts for super cheap. Be sure to get the snap closure and follow the washing directions carefully.
5. NasalClear Nasal Aspirator (aka The Snot Gun)
This is just about the grossest and best thing ever invented. The Snot Gun is a battery operated nasal aspirator and the thing works like a snot pulling dream. You have to rinse it after every use, emptying the snot receptacle as you do, and dry it completely or epic grossness ensues. It makes an unpleasant hygiene issue super easy, our daughter loved the tickle of the vibration, and I loved that you have more control over the cleanliness of the tool. Ever seen the inside of a bulb aspirator after it’s been used? Even after thorough washing it’s still intensely disgusting.
6. Vaseline and Johnson’s Baby Lotion – At our first check up our daughter had some seriously flaky skin and I was reluctant to put any lotion on her because of some conflicting things I had read. The nurse took one look and said, “Mix a dollop of Vaseline in the palm of your hand with an equal part of Johnson’s Baby Lotion and rub it all over after every bath.” I’ve been doing it ever since and our daughter’s skin is incredibly soft and nary a flake in sight.
7. Amazon Mom – I did the free trial of Amazon Mom when I set up our baby registry and went ahead and shelled out the buckaroos for the full membership because the shipping savings alone made it worth doing. At the time I didn’t realize that Amazon Mom included a membership to Amazon Prime (TV and Movie streaming!) and that the Subscribe and Save option would allow me to choose my favorite diapers without relying on them being in stock locally. They periodically have coupons and sales too which increase the savings.
8. Vicks Cool Mist Humidifier – We live in West Texas and it is incredibly dry here, year round. We love this humidifier because we run it all night long and only have to refill the water every third day. It’s incredibly easy to change the water and the filter below and you don’t have to worry about it getting anything wet or moldy. Plus, it acts as a great “white noise” maker that helps our daughter sleep and block out the skittering of dog toenails on the floors.