Today’s real mama is a loyal reader and blogger friend and I am excited to share her favorites with y’all today! Wendy and her sweet daughter, Susanna are outdoorsy active types and her lists reflects that. She also has some REALLY great book recommendations among many other great finds. I know you’ll enjoy this list and if you would like to share your favorites we’d love to have you! Email me for the easy peasy details.
Do you ever look forward to Wednesdays at The Wise Baby to see what other moms are loving for their baby/babies and themselves? I do! It’s interesting to see what’s popular with which mom and baby and why.
Our family is a pretty simple one with Scott, Susanna, and me. My husband and I both work from home (he’s a writer and I’m a teacher/writer). We spend our days in about a humble and cozy home with a huge lot on the coast of Washington less than a mile from the beach, but Susanna was born at the base of the Wasatch Mountains in Utah.
When Susanna’s napping, I sneak in time to blog at New Moms Talk, keep up my once-professional baking skills, and renovate our home and yard. Now that she’s almost 16 months, it seemed like a good time to share what’s worked for us in terms of favorite products, because, of course, some things are favorites for only a week or a month.
These products are tried and true in our coastal home and all of our many travels.
1. Ergobaby Baby Carrier . When we lived in Utah, we hiked often. The Ergobaby carrier allowed us to continue living our active lives while integrating Susanna safely into this part of our lives. She adored being close,and we still use the carrier for every day happenings when we need it though she’d rather be running and climbing, so it’s getting far less use lately.
2. BOB Ironman Stroller and weather shield. My husband and I are both road and trail runners. Running with Susanna has been made so much easier with the BOB Ironman. We’ve taken it on some pretty gnarly trails and across the desert a few times. The sand and terrain are no match for the BOB Ironman.
Now that we pretty much live at the beach when it’s not freezing, the weather shield stays on the BOB at all times. We roll it up if it’s truly sunny and warm, but more often it’s windy and/or rainy here. Susanna stays cozy and content on her walks and runs with us which eases our parental concerns about her health and safety.
3. Caspar Babypants music. Have you heard of him? If not, you really need to check him out! (He has a cool app, too!) Caspar’s a Seattle musician and my mother-in-law gave us one of his CDs. I was a bit skeptical of full on baby music at all times, but Caspar converted me.
His music is wonderfully up beat without sounding too “overly baby” and the lyrics put an educational twist on everything while allowing for the adults to laugh, too. Some of my favorites are “Cricket the King,” “Fuzz,” “Messy Face,” “Even Bus are Sleeping,” and “Baby of Mine.” Caspar is also one of our “secret parent tools.” All we have to do is put on his music, and Susanna calms down instantly and starts smiling and dancing! (You can find him on Pandora, too!)
4. BumGenius Elemental and cloth wipes. We love these! With all of our moves and travels, we’ve still used them. The secret bonus here is the cloth wipes that my Mom made us and the solution I’ve tweaked. They are so easy to use, and it warms our hearts that our daughter is healthy (no diaper rash to date) while we help ourselves financially and the Earth, too!
5. Patagonia booties. I’ve always been a huge fan of all things Patagonia, so I suggested to Scott that we try the booties for Susanna. Best clothing decision ever! We’re always out and about (even in our yard) and the booties are perfect! They’re warm, snug but not too snug, and grippy. They stay on Susanna’s feet allowing her to run safely in them for hours (which she does). They are super easy to wash in the laundry which makes our parenting lives a bit easier.
6. Fisher-Price Little People Lil’ Movers School Bus. My husband’s youngest sister sent Susanna this for Christmas, but we opened it early! Susanna played with it all day and night the first day, and then would make a mad dash for it every day after that. It has such great teaching options, and the lights and sound parts are pleasant. (Thanks, Aunt Jessica!)
7. Contigo water bottle . It’s wonderfully easy to fill, the handle is perfect for toddler hands to hold it,and it’s incredibly easy to clean. It’s always on hand for Susanna and we’re thankful her Grandma M bought it for her.
8. Tides Near Me free app. Now that we live under a mile from the ocean, we’re frequent visitors to the beach for play and exploring time, taking pictures, and collecting driftwood and shells. Tides Near Me clues us in on high tide, low tide, sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset. In other words, we can time our visits to the beach based on water and light conditions and determine when it’s safest for all of us.
9. Five Little Pumpkins, Hello, Bugs!, Hello, Animals!, From Head to Toe, It’s Time to Sleep, My Love, and BOO! Puppy. These are the books we read every day, all day. Susanna loves them. What more can I say? With two writers as parents, she knows what she likes and doesn’t. I’m thankful she has a few favorites that are enjoyable to read over and over and over again!