Experts say to pack your hospital bag around 34-36 weeks. As a planner myself, I waited until after 37 weeks. Why? Because I just didn’t know what to pack. Of course, lots of the items go without saying but as a habitual over packer I wanted to be prudent. After hours of debate and research, here’s a checklist and a few suggestions. What am I missing?!?
- Pre-Registration Papers
- Photo ID
- Insurance Card
- Camera and/or Video Camera
- 2-3 Nightgowns
- Slippers and/or Socks
- Comfortable going home outfit
- Nursing or Sports Bra
- A few extra pairs of comfortable underwear
- Toiletries / Make-Up
- Maxi-Pads. The hospital will provide pads but you may want to bring your own, super duper pads.
- Breast pads and Breast cream
- Electronics and/or a book to keep you entertained and relaxed.
- Cell phone to share the good news!
- Remind dad to bring a small bag of clothes and toiletries if he plans to stay with you at the hospital.
Thanks to some savvy mom’s we have a few additions:
- Baby book to capture the baby’s hand and foot prints.
- An extra robe
- A notebook or place to keep track of visitors and gifts your receive in the hospital (great idea- thanks Shannon!)
- Car Seat! You can’t leave the hospital without an installed seat.
- A couple of onesies
- Going home outfit with hat and mittens. If you opt for something other than a footie, bring socks/booties too.
- Emery boards
- Swaddling blanket(s). The hospital will provide but you may want one or two for the ride home.
- Stroller/Fleece blanket
Rail and Wharf 48-hour Duffle via J. Crew / Gilligan & O’Malley Knit Gowns via Target / Luella Robe via Doie Lounge / UGG Ansley Slippers via Zappos / Electronics via Apple / Canon PowerShot S100 via Amazon / Hard Tail Roll Waist Wide Leg Pant via Nordstroms / Striped Boyfriend Cardigan via Elle Apparel / Bravado Seamless Nursing Bra via Diapers.com /Cotton Underpants via Victoria’s Secret / Reina Ballet Flats via Tom’s / Cosmetic Bag via Kate Spade / Toiletries via Soap.Com / Medella Breast Pads and Cream via Walgreens / Onesies and Mittens via Carter’s / Jungle Jam Swaddle Blankets via aden+ anais / Chenille Baby Blanket via Land of Nod / Kissy Kissy Frog Print Hat and Footie via Green Daisy /Graco SnugRide35 via Diapers.com / Avent Soothies via Diapers.com